Monday, March 27, 2017

How God used homemade enchilada sauce to teach me about creating a ministry

On Fridays, at Kitiibwa Home, we have, what we’ve lovingly come to call, Fiesta Fridays.

I cook an entire Mexican meal and a handful of friends come over to join in an evening of food, fun, and fellowship.


Each week, I’ve transitioned further and further away from store-bought and incorporated more “made from scratch.”

The first week, I made all the salsas- pico de gallo, mango-pineapple salsa, and guacamole. The second week, I made the tortillas. The third week, I made every single thing from scratch- including the enchilada sauce.


As I was standing in the kitchen simmering the enchilada sauce, made from fresh tomatoes, olive oil, flour, and lots of herbs and spices, I was talking with my best friend who is half the world away.


“Besides the fact that it’s easier, why do we even eat that pre-made junk?” I asked her.


Yes, it’s easy and fast (for Americans) to run to the grocery store and buy a package of tortillas for dinner.

But it only takes four ingredients and a little bit of time and you can have an entire batch of made-from-scratch tortillas that are so much better and definitely more fresh than the store-bought kind.

Sometimes, it’s the strangest things that I say or think that God uses to teach me something.

I haven’t posted a lot of details here or even on social media yet, but two weeks ago, God gave me a huge vision for beginning a ministry here.

When my plans were all shifted literally days before I boarded a plane to come here two months ago, multiple people asked if I was going to come and begin a ministry of my own.

I think I responded with something along the line of, “No way-- that would be crazy! There are thousands of ministries and non-profits in Uganda doing anything you can imagine. So why would I need the headache and hassle of starting my own?!”

Well, I was right. There are thousands of organizations doing lots of different things in Uganda, specifically Kampala. It is a lot of work and details to launch something from nothing. And it might be slightly crazy of me to begin a new ministry. (But a lot of things God has called me to over the years has seemed slightly crazy, to myself and others, and I’ve always seen God’s plan in them.)

So, I’ve been walking forward, one step at a time, on this path of building a ministry where there is an unmet need and I’ve seen God answer lots of prayers for clarity and direction.

There have already been a few times, though, where I think, “Wouldn’t it just be easier to partner with a pre-existing organization that is doing similar things?”

This is where God used my enchilada sauce as a life lesson.


The can of enchilada sauce that you can buy from the store (but not me because they don’t sell it in Uganda hah) is great. At one point in time, the creator had a dream to make good enchilada sauce and used their time, money, and resources to develop and grow it to what it is today. It’s good, it serves its purpose, it’s successful, and there is really nothing wrong with it.

But why do we feel the automatic need to go with something safe, easy, fast, and familiar?
Why can’t I spend a little time, money, and resources to develop something that meets the need I can see and has every part of what is needed or not?


I often alter store-bought sauces anyway. I add spices, herbs, and sometimes even other things like fresh produce to them to increase the flavor and make it the way I like it. So why don’t I begin from scratch and make it the way I want it to begin with?


Usually, it’s fear.
Fear of failure. Fear of trying something new. Fear of wasting time, money, and resource.

Or it just seems like too much work.


When I came to Uganda, I wanted to fall back on the safe, easy, fast, and familiar option. I knew of something pre-existing and I wanted to just step right in and help build on their foundation. Not a lot of risk. Not any fear. And, honestly, next to no strenuous work.

Thankfully, God had bigger plans and he made the comfortable option very uncomfortable for me.
I’ve left the safe, easy, fast, and familiar option and begun to fully embrace the scary, hard, slow, and unknown.

This upcoming week, a lot of things will (hopefully) happen.

There are mission and vision statements to write, a P.O. box to open, a social media presence to build, a website to consult with professionals about, projects to describe, a workspace to create, and artwork to paint and hang to complete its identity.

This week, Kitiibwa Ministries will transition from a big dream in a notebook to a tangible, operating ministry!


In the midst of the transition and the “to do” list being completed, I will also be writing a follow-up blog about the dream and meaning of Kitiibwa Ministries, in order to help you understand more about it.


But for now, I’ll provide you with a quick Lugandan lesson: 
kitiibwa means glory. 

Kitiibwa Ministries will bring glory to God by helping vulnerable, poverty-stricken children thrive through education, sports, and the Word of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment